Free Employment Advice

Certain work-related issues may require legal advice. Many employment law solicitors offer free consultations to their clients. These are usually by phone or email.

Providing these benefits can help employees to stay motivated in their jobs. It also encourages them to meet work goals and expectations. It can also boost morale and productivity.

Acas, the Advisory Conciliation and Arbitration Service, provides free and impartial advice on employment rights, rules and best practice. It also helps employees and employers reach a settlement before an issue escalates to a formal complaint to the employment tribunal. The conciliation process is designed to save both time and money compared to taking a case to the tribunal, and any agreements reached are legally binding. Acas also offers training and events to help employers improve workplace relations.

EASS is the new helpline service for individuals with equality issues in England, Scotland and Wales. It offers information, advice and support on discrimination and your rights. It also provides support for informal resolution and can refer people on to civil legal aid. The EASS website offers BSL interpretation, web chat and a contact us form.

The new helpline is based in Manchester and is operated by Sitel in partnership with Disability Rights UK, Law Centres Federation, Voiceability and RAD Deaf Law Centre. The service will work closely with the Equality Human Rights Commission, referring on potential test cases and sharing information. Its customers have reported that they are more confident dealing with their issues and that the service has made a difference to them.
Employment Tribunal Customer Contact Centre

The employment tribunals are the judicial body with responsibility for workplace justice and are the main forum for deciding disputes between workers and their employers. They hear complaints about issues such as unfair dismissal, redundancy, discrimination and equal pay.

It’s a good idea to contact the tribunal as soon as you think you might have a case – rather than just before the deadline. You should get a ‘notice of acknowledgment’ from the tribunal by post which will tell you they have received your claim form.

Once your claim has been made, you can get help with it from an adviser or representative if you need it. This might be someone who can help with your paperwork or represent you in court, for example a trade union or Citizens Advice bureau.
Citizen’s Advice

Citizens Advice provides free, confidential and impartial advice to people with problems such as debt, benefits, housing, employment and consumer issues. It also campaigns for change by researching and influencing public policy. The national organisation is funded by the government and local authorities, and its bureaux are run by volunteers. It has a Trustee Board that provides strategic direction and vision, and the Chief Executive is responsible for delivering the board’s plan. The service is delivered in local communities through branches and by telephone, email and textphone. In 2016, it helped 2.7 million people with 6.3 million problems. It is also a member of the National Health and Wellbeing Alliance. For more information, visit the Citizens Advice website.

The Leith office of Citizens Advice is one of 61 across Scotland.Free employment advice

Add a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *